Young Scholars Workshop
Young Scholars Workshop
The EurOMA Young Scholars Workshop is targeted at young OM academics in general and alumni of the EurOMA Doctoral Seminar in particular.
This activity is conceived as a way to support the career development of young scholars in the field of Operations Management by teaching and sharing with them the major skills needed in an academic career, such as supervising Master and PhD students, reviewing and writing papers, networking, teaching, etc. Each year one of the above subjects is developed on a rolling base. At the same time, the initiative is aimed at developing the community of young OM scholars, keeping the network alive and providing opportunities to meet and discuss relevant topics.
- Date: Monday 3rd July 2017
- Theme: Career Development – managing your way through academia
- Time: 09.00 – 13.30
- Location: exact room TBC, but at the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Cost: included in the conference fee
As a young academic, you may go many different ways, into teaching/research, consultancy, business, of course, or a more administrative role at your university. Each of these options represents different challenges. In addition, different countries have different ways of approaching, and different expectations regarding, the development of their junior staff.
The workshop features presentations from more experienced academics with a background in Operations Management, in different stages of their careers, from different countries, following different career paths, and representing both genders. In addition, a wider and even more diverse group of scholars will take part, as a panel, to engage in a Q&A-like discussion, allowing you to learn about their experiences. Of course there will be ample opportunities for networking, one of the key overall objectives of the Young Scholars Workshops.
As soon as the presenters and panel members are known, their names and some details will be posted here.
The number of participants is limited to 30 people. Professor Harry Boer from Aalborg University is responsible for the organization of the workshop.
Target group and eligibility
The target group of the workshop is young OM academics who aim at a continued academic career. Priority is given to EurOMA Doctoral Seminar alumni. At least two years involvement in academic job activities is required, e.g. supervising and teaching, apart from the applicant’s own PhD research project.
The 2017 workshop is open to EurOMA members participating in the 2017 annual conference, who have presented their PhD thesis in or after 2012.
- Young scholars who participated in the 2016 workshop will receive an invitation and have to confirm their participation in the 2017 workshop by sending an e-mail to hboer(at)business.aau.dk before May 5, 2017.
- First time applicants are requested to send a CV and proof of their EurOMA membership by e-mail to hboer(at)business.aau.dk before May 5, 2017.
- Notification of acceptance will be sent out not later than May 19, 2017.
Professor Harry Boer
Center for Industrial Production, Aalborg University.